Thread: Identity Theives

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Identity Theives

Back on May 6th, I got a message on my phone regarding a couple of PayPal transactions, neither of which I remembered making. I got online and checked my account only to find a $4 charge to Trump Hotel in Urbana, OH and another one for $187 to some company providing travel reservations to Paris, France.

I instantly called PP, and they were awesome to work with...they cancelled my card and got another one in the mail, credited my account instantly, and told me how the investigation process would work. I got my new card in the mail and everything has been peachy.

Fast forward to yesterday: I woke up to find a voicemail from my credit union's card member services stating that it was seeing some unusual activity. I immediately got online to check my checking account, and was pissed to find numerous $100, $10, and $5 transactions...all to the same "charity". It all added up to about $700 before the computers shut the card off

I immediately called and made sure the card was cancelled, and went thru the usual motions. It sucks that these jackasses do this BS on the weekend, so now I have no access to my money until I go in on Monday. Luckily, the new PayPal card works and I keep a small balance, so I'm not completely broke until Monday, but I won't be buying any groceries or Lamborghinis or what-not. The part that annoys me more than anything is the fact that I've used that card for years and had it memorized and could make payments and order stuff from memory (pizza)...and now I'll have to learn a new one.

In the mean time, I've been trying to remember places that I've used both my debit card and PayPal card to make purchases, and the only place I can come up with is a gas station that I frequent. I'm not positive that the two incidents are related, but I guess it's possible.

Anyhoo...my advise is to regularly check your accounts, especially on the weekends.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Re: Identity Theives

We have never had any fraudulent charges show up, but our cards have been cancelled by the credit union a few times. Usually for things like the Target fiasco, but once it was because we did a lot of Christmas shopping all in one day.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I'm just glad it didn't happen on one of those weekends I was in NC or OK for a car audio meet.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Wife's card was hacked last year. Def sux, good luck getting it straight. iirc, took about 2 weeks on ours.