Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Monte Carlo

1. Back To Top    #71

Re: 2004 Monte Carlo

Seriously man, the Monte is looking really good... !
    Might need to get together to get a listen and get some install help..... Mr. Fabricator...

2. Back To Top    #72
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
    Not bad. Erin beat me up pretty good on my score sheet but actually he validated mostly what I already knew just didn't know how to fix it, so that's a good thing. He gave lots and lots of notes which are very helpful. He, Vinny and Cook gave me some areas I should work on. I believe the setup I'm running now is the best I've had, just need to focus more on tuning, what to listen for and how to fix it. I believe I'm done changing components for a while.
    That's impressive, because last year in Alabama it sounded very good and did very well without anyone realizing until it was too late. lol
    Like I said, you were getting it done under the radar. No one was like "Oh, you have to hear this Monte Carlo..." and you took like 3rd or something, didn't you?

Didn't realize Erin was a judge. Cool that he left detailed notes.

Jay

3. Back To Top    #73
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle
    2004 Monte Carlo, 2003 F150 Harley Davidson Edition

I appreciate the comments. I still believe that the current set up is the best it has sounded. It killed me that I couldn't make Finals this year. The stars just didn't align for me. I still have a lot to learn as far as tuning goes and don't have any plans to change anything this coming season as far as components go, just clean some things up. I did get third in Huntsville and was just as surprised as anyone else.

Erin only judged, I think, 2 shows. I think he wanted to see if he would like it as well as helping Steve out when he was short some judges. I really wish they would mandate the judges leave more notes as to why they give the scores they do. I hate getting a score sheet that is mostly blank except for the random, good, ok, light bass or more high's. Erin's sheet was very descriptive and told me why I got the score I got. Great, now I know what to address. I'm not talking about writing a novel or anything but if you get 3-4 points below the highest possible score for a particular category, why.

4. Back To Top    #74
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle

Not much of an updatebut I did make a couple of changes. I have been looking for another set ofseats for the Monte for a while now. Whatever I got I wanted to make sure they matched the back seats as much as possible. I never thought I would find a set that would match completely or a complete set of front and back. During lunch last week I went to a salvage yard a few streets away from work looking for a taillight. I happened across an '03 Monte with a little front end damage and a full leather interior. I have never been a big fan of leather seats but these things looks in excellent condition. I would have expected at least the driver seat to be worthless but it had very little wear on it. After kicking the idea around in my head for a little while I decided to get them and then was stunned that I was able to get the full set of front and back seats for $130. I couldn’t pass that up.

After a little leather cleaner and preserver they turned out very nice.

Also, I have been hearing and reading about how much everyone really liked the Illusion Audio C3CX mids and I wanted to test and seeif I would like them better than my Frog’s. I lucked out and found a set on DIYMA and made some enclosures out of some 3” pvc pipe. So far, I am really impressed with them.

I also had another desire to try a different set of midbass for a few months now and could never catch a set for sale before they were snatched up by someone else. I really wanted these midbass so I went ahead and pulled the trigger and got a set.

The thing that confuses me about these is that you can’t just buy the midbass, you have to buy them as a set with xovers and tweeters. Why?

They are still breaking in but I can already hear a difference in them from when I first put them in. Maybe this next weekend Iwill hook up the tablet to see what it looks like but so far I really like what I’m hearing with the tune I already have in it.

5. Back To Top    #75
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Mine finally came in. I ordered the C8's as midbasses only, no X-overs/tweeters. But they came in the C8 Component box.
    But I got the C3CX's, C8's, 8to12 Aerospace, MOS BTM, and an RC Mini. My car has a sort of joystick (looks a lot like the one you
    had for a while) and I'm thinking of using an Arduino to read the signals from it and then essentially press the buttons on the wireless remote that came with my radio. Sure, I could remove it and make a nice little mount for it, but what fun would that be? lol

Any updates since 3 weeks ago?

Jay

6. Back To Top    #76
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle

I have been trying to work on something for the dash but not getting much done due to work wearing me out and not having much time to do any work on the car and not finding answers to something I can't figure out. Mostly, I've just been listening and enjoying. Do need to crack out the tablet at some point to do some tuning. But for the most part I like how it sounds now.

Hoping you get yours to a point that you can bring it to The Vinny. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it.

7. Back To Top    #77
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
    I have been trying to work on something for the dash but not getting much done due to work wearing me out and not having much time to do any work on the car and not finding answers to something I can't figure out. Mostly, I've just been listening and enjoying. Do need to crack out the tablet at some point to do some tuning. But for the most part I like how it sounds now.

Hoping you get yours to a point that you can bring it to The Vinny. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it.
    Well, it won't be "done," I'm still waiting to hear if my subs are going to be shipping soon. So far I got an email that they were on the build list, but that was like a week ago. I had hoped to gut the car and do everything all at once, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

We had a couple more guys leave the company I work for, so we're even MORE short handed, so I don't know if I'll even be able to get the time off.
    It's only a 9hr drive, but I'd need a hotel for 2 nights. I'm spending all my free money right now on the car.

We'll see what happens.

Jay

8. Back To Top    #78

Nice to hear you're enjoying it, Kelly. I know it's been a struggle for you the past couple years to get something you're really happy with but it seems like you're making serious headway and I'm happy for you.

I was planning on hitting up The Vinny as well but I may have to bail out. There's two shows spread out over the weekend after The Vinny in Cumming, GA (near ATL). So I decided to go with that one and make a weekend out of it. Which means I may not be able to come to The Vinny.
    Here's the info for the show in ATL if you're interested:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...y29-20-ga.html
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

9. Back To Top    #79
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle

Hmmmm.....since The Vinny is so close for me I might look into the GA. show as well. If there is going to be a huge turn out, it might be worth going. Like you said, make a weekend of it.

10. Back To Top    #80
    Real Name
    Michael Myers
    Vehicle
    2016 Scion im

Kelly go to the ATL shows! Shannon, Chris, Myself, Mr. Maddy, Charles, Marsha, and Justin should all be there.
    Last edited by Michael Myers; 06-23-2017 at 08:13 PM.