Thread: What is a Tech Editor?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Lightbulb What is a Tech Editor?

One of the problems that most forums face is that the really informative stuff gets buried under a bunch of useless BS. I was talking with Dave (TheDavel) about creating a section separate from the forum where the more informative stuff can be archived and kept safe from useless chit-chat. Unfortunately, as the forum grows and more and more threads are started, we know that will probably become a reality.

Our version of vBulletin suite comes with the forum, a blog section (which I have disabled at the moment), and a Content Management System (CMS). If you look at the top, you will see a tab that says "Articles". If you click it, you will see that I've been playing with the layout and writing articles. There are several options available such as promoting a post to an article, as I did with Erin's 'Essentials' thread...or you could just write one from scratch. The really nice thing is that you can save your article and work on it at your leisure, it doesn't display until you publish it.

I'm hoping to have some technical articles, reviews, industry news, and other interesting stuff. I would also like to do a wiki of sorts to archive some reference stuff. I'm trying to decide if I want to build it in the CMS or use an external source such as http://www.caraudiojunkies.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Anyhoo, that's what I'm shooting for...I want CAJ to be both a fun place AND informative. I've created a usergroup called Tech Editors and I've initially included a few of the more technically-minded posters: erinh, caraudiofab, TheDavel, chad, Glenn. I'm sorry if I overlooked anyone...if you would like to join the group, please let me know.

Tech Editors have the ability to create an article directly to the page, however, anybody can submit an article in the form of a single post here. Once the post is reviewed and tweaked, it will be promoted to the articles section. Technically, I could promote a whole thread to an article, but it would have to be tweaked quite a bit to make it work.

So are any of you interested? I'm not looking for any regularly-timed thing...there is no pressure or deadline. I'm just giving you a different avenue to get your info out. I'm open to any suggestions, questions or snide remarks. Also, if you know of any posts that you feel deserve to be put in the spotlight, point it out to me.
    Last edited by BigAl205; 04-07-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Opened group

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Re: What is a Tech Editor?

Also, if anybody wants their own blog, let me know and I'll enable it.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's really cool, Al.

The one thing I don't like about trying to type up long posts and have to update it as you go, with the meat of the topic getting lost in in-between conversation. This new format would fix that. I like it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Re: What is a Tech Contributor?

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    That's really cool, Al.

The one thing I don't like about trying to type up long posts and have to update it as you go, with the meat of the topic getting lost in in-between conversation. This new format would fix that. I like it.
    So I take it you're on board?

5. Back To Top    #5
    DIYMA Dropout
    Real Name
    Dave
    Vehicle
    Jetta SW, Torino, F-150

I'm on board. I'm working on some tech related stuff at the moment... More to follow. Thanks Al!
    I make the things that go bump in the night...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

I probably have a bunch of stuff I should move here.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

That would be cool!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

This is a great idea, especially for perpetual noobs like me.