Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My "not fancy" just for fun build

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: My "not fancy" just for fun build

Okay, I just wasn't feeling that layout.
    Today I removed the seats, to see just how much room was behind them.
    Contemplating the "seat-mod" to make the rears fold down. I have seen lots of guys do it, and mount amps back there.
    But, I would have to cut the fiber panel that blocks noise from the vents, and yada-yada-yada. Not happening.
    I have played the "noise from the vents" game before. The factory piece does a wonderful job. It stays put, and intact, as-is!

I also think you guys are right about keeping the power.

So I hustled all the amps back out to the truck to see if I could come up with something more appealing to me.
    See, I am OCD like a mo-fo. And I have this strange issue with symmetry. The amp rack will be the only showy aspect of this install.
    And, like I said, I was not feeling that layout.

So, this is the second attempt at something more visually pleasing:

Now I will dwell on that for a while. But it is symmetrical. The D200's are dead center. The LP's are max width. And the D100's are each .5" from the LP's.

2. Back To Top    #22

I would be worried about the feet and the exposed terminals for back seat passengers.......specifically the rca cables......one solid push from a shoe could cause damage to the amps at worst, of a shorted cable at least....

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Custom machine an end cap

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    I would be worried about the feet and the exposed terminals for back seat passengers.......specifically the rca cables......one solid push from a shoe could cause damage to the amps at worst, of a shorted cable at least....
    When the seat is down one would have to be a 4yr-old gymnastic contortionist to get their feet anywhere near the amps. The RCA's are at least 10" inside the boundary of the seat. That is a non issue. I do hate the binding-posts on the LP's though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Custom machine an end cap
    LOL, I am way ahead of you Al! Like I just mentioned, I hate the binding posts on the LP's. Not real keen on the power-terminal either. I have some NOS black Phoenix-Gold terminals that may find their way on to new LP end-plates.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Two Linear Power 2.2HV's (both titanium, and only one serial number apart) All 6 amps will run bridged. The LP's each on an Diyma R12

Subs will be in a center console.
    Any other possibilities for subs ? or are you not concerned about possibly not having some thump ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Any other possibilities for subs ? or are you not concerned about possibly not having some thump ?
    Yea, I am concerned. But, at the same time, I am not. See, my idea of heavy bass is the bass-line in the live version of Megadeath's Peace Sells.
    I never-NEVER listen to hip-hop, or rap. I hate pop music. I listen to lots of old country, and heavy rock. Very broad spectrum of music actually.
    I can flip from Patty Loveless to MotorHead back to Allison Krauss then Anthrax to Jerry Reed. Every now and then you might hear Beastie-boys.
    But, zero music with synthesized bass.

If ever there was a guy that should be following Mikey7182's lead, its me. Mid-bass is where its at. I know this. Maybe someday I will go pro-audio?
    But, this build is about actually finishing it. See, I have started no less than 10 builds since I sold that blue Dodge. Never finished any of them.
    This one is getting finished. In order to guarantee that. I am keeping the fab-work simple!

The most difficult aspect of this install will be the doors.
    And there is a very good possibility I will be farming the sub enclosure out.
    Jon and Hand-crafted is less than 1 mile down the street from my shop. Pretty sure he could handle it.

The reasons I like the idea of the Diyma's:
    They have been sitting there for years. If I fold the cones up, I am not out anything. That money is long forgotten, and they were cheap anyways.
    I can cross them pretty high, and take advantage of their ability to play cleanly up there, MID-BASS!
    I can get two 12"s in the center console.

The reasons I don't like the idea of the Diyma's:
    The possibility of folded cones will haunt me.
    Possibly not enough output?
    Throwing the enclosure away should they fail.

After all that, YES there are possibilities for other subs. Most notably Dayton HO's. I also think I could get a 15" JBL GTi MKII in there, and run one 2.2HV per coil.
    Last edited by wheelieking71; 03-31-2015 at 10:24 AM.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

What about that bass line in Dawn Patrol?

I'm going to retract and say, use the DIYMAs. Worst case, the cones may fail eventually. Then you just have them rebuilt with a stouter cone and surround, and keep on rocking.

Always wanted to find some of the ones that have failed, and rebuild them into 15s.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Perfect for covering road noise/wind noise/et cetera . . . in your truck !

After all that, YES there are possibilities for other subs. Most notably Dayton HO's. I also think I could get a 15" JBL GTi MKII in there, and run one 2.2HV per coil.
    Never heard of anyone fixing a damaged DIYMA, chithead [ no reconing on Dang's designed sub ]
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

9. Back To Top    #29

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post

Never heard of anyone fixing a damaged DIYMA, chithead [ no reconing on Dang's designed sub ]
    PSI did a couple. Not sure of the outcome. I seem to remember reading that it was good.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

One of the recones floating around out there:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oNMOKoK.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	3791