Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: My "not fancy" just for fun build

1. Back To Top    #131

Re: My "not fancy" just for fun build

Hmmm, I would probably need to get them to play up to 350-400hz to mate with a nice 4" mid-range.
    I would think anything that will play loud enough to keep up with a pair of 8" or even 10" mid-bass, isn't going to play a whole lot lower than 400hz?

2. Back To Top    #132
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

not a lot of excursion in that range. I played my 3" scans to 300hz and never bothered them. I had 8" midbass as well. really depends on how the speaker itself works at that range. some 3's play just fine, some aren't meant to play low at all.
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

3. Back To Top    #133
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

I would try it !

Some 4"
    legatia's
    would play low enough
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #134

Got the last of the bits for power distribution:

Nothing holding me back now. Lets see if I can actually get to it! LOL

5. Back To Top    #135

Still planning.......

Hmmm, what is this screaming deal on some old rock-solid power?!

Hooray Craigslist!!! They all work. Been sitting over 20 years. They all fired right up, and sounded fine in the guys garage.

This is what an amplifier should look like. A black heat-sink, with some labeled connections, and a gain knob. That's it.
    Built amazingly well. Typical late 80's Japan. Built to last a looooong time.
    I like these guys. And @ $30ea they definitely keep with the budget theme. These might stick around.

6. Back To Top    #136
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

That is a SCORE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I like these guys. And @ $30ea they definitely keep with the budget theme. These might stick around.
    If they don't... let me know
    Are you not entertained?!?!

7. Back To Top    #137
    Real Name
    Andy
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Civic wagon, 2003 GMC Sierra

Those are sweet!
    Love some old, function over form amp designs.

8. Back To Top    #138
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

I'm rather smitten.. It's like the triple decker old school blue plate special right thar!
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

9. Back To Top    #139

Okay, planning.......planning. It needs to end.
    I have a pile of these Yamahas now. After realizing how much I like them, and spending a long evening listening to one in the den while I worked.
    And then another long evening listening to two bridged as a stereo pair in the den while I worked. Yep, these are good amps. Zero fatigue.
    So, I went hunting, and gathered up 5 more! LOL. I did not get the $30 special introductory price on the next 5. But, They were still cheap.
    I sold other amps to help fund it. Whatever, I have worse problems than being an amp junkie.

Soo, I have the 701 combo for a processor. I have 8 of these Yamahas. I have an ADCOM 4302. I have like 12 of the AURA NS6's. I have the VIFA tweets (or morels, or alpines, or LPGs).
    I need to figure out what to do for subwooferage! Here is the plan: I want to use two Yamahas bridged on a DVC subwoofer (or two).
    Now, I am a tough cookie to please when it comes to subs. I prefer an efficient, low power, light cone, sub. I do not like heavy coned, big X-max, power hungry subs at all.
    I do not find them to sound musical. They sound muddy, and they are non-linear. I also do not listen at really high volumes any more. My ears are old. Can't take it.
    I don't need a ground-pounder. Think original JBL GTi, or SoundStream "velvet hammer", and you are speaking my language.
    Problem is, I don't know what is out there. And with the Yamahas, Dual 4ohm is pretty mandatory.
    So I have roughly 2-3 hundred watts on tap for one sub. Or double that. If I decide one will not be enough.
    I am kinda thinking a pair of these would get me what I am after: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-488
    And they keep with the budget theme of this whole ordeal.
    As it sits right now, if I don't count the amps I bought that I am not going to run, I am still under $1500 for equipment, AND materials (including a big box from Don @ SDS).
    I just don't know if I can fit a big enough enclosure in the truck to run a pair of those. Anybody handy with box building software got some spare time to kill?
    I don't even know if the computer my old software is on works anymore.
    Let alone remember how to use it! LOL
    Or if those 12"s end up needing too much space, there is their little brother: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-486
    It all comes down to the enclosure. I guess I need to dust off that old computer, and see if it will fire up.

10. Back To Top    #140
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'm wondering if you can score some old school Kicker SoloBaric, or Rockford Punch. Those were my favorites, "back in the day", Rockford Punch with the paper cones and plastic Rockford logo molded dust caps.
    Are you not entertained?!?!