Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: My "not fancy" just for fun build

1. Back To Top    #191
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: My "not fancy" just for fun build

No kidding, seriously making me rethink amplification for the Challenger. I need a better processor anyways, could be a good excuse to use them
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #192
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    No kidding, seriously making me rethink amplification for the Challenger. I need a better processor anyways, could be a good excuse to use them

3. Back To Top    #193

FINALLY! I finally found the aluminum baffles I made 6 years ago for my last Dodge build:

I knew I kept them. I just had to find them. Been looking for months. They were very well buried! LOL
    And, how could I get so lucky that the SI TM-65's use the exact same diameter hole, and bolt-circle as the Hybrid Clarus mids I made these for?

I don't know? But I will roll with it!
    Last edited by wheelieking71; 08-20-2016 at 09:57 PM.

4. Back To Top    #194

And for anybody truly curious about the new Boland Audio amps, Bernie is indeed serious as a heart attack! Woo-Hoo!

I am thoroughly enjoying working with him. His stuff is going to be awesome! Expensive, but, Awesome!

5. Back To Top    #195
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Now THAT is a baffle! Holy slab of aluminum Batman!
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

6. Back To Top    #196

Ohh, your super high end 150watts x 2 class-A/B dual mono amp idles at 2.5amps.
    That's cute!

My 70watts x 2 old junker idles at 10amps! and boiling hot to boot

I have tried a lot of different amps in my day. But, nothing comes close to matching the essque of this beauty.
    Nothing. Not even the BRAX. This thing is amazing.

Lots of amps claim to be class-A. Not many really are. But, I am pretty confident, this bad-boy really is class-A.
    Ohh, and yes, the idle current spec is 10amps.

I love this freaking amplifier!

7. Back To Top    #197
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

If nothing else, you use it to weld the mounting bracket together

8. Back To Top    #198

Still all over the place with equipment for this system. Plans change daily, LOL
    Not sure it this will stay. Depends what I decide on for processing. But, I picked up a very nice old Alpine CDA-7930 off a FaceBook page:

This is a no frills "dead-head" from a ways back. It somehow made it this far without ever being installed.
    When I saw that it was still new, for the measly price I paid, I had to have it.
    No bells or whistles on this one! No crossovers, no EQ, nothing. And the styling is wonderful!
    This looks soo much nicer than that POS W235bt that I had in there its not funny. I knew the 235 wouldn't last, because the lighting at night was soo bright.
    And it was blue. Which meant, you couldn't see anything. I don't know if its just me, but bright blue lighting is just a blur. I hated it.

On the contrary, I absolutely love this 7930's styling. And the lighting at night is 100% better. I also love the idea of a dead-head.

I took both the 235, and the 7930 in the house over the weekend, and did some back-to-back listening tests.
    The imaging from the 7930 was amazing compared to the 235. I am not a techie, so I don't know what makes the difference.
    But, I certainly do know what I am hearing. And, the 235 is trash compared to this 7930.
    Imaging wasn't the only aspect that suffered with the 235. Anyways, it (the 235) is out, gone!

I had a buddy wanting to put a stereo in his truck. He is not in to car-audio at all. So, I sold it to him.
    Along with a pair of amps, a component set, and a 12" sub. All stuff I have been trying to sell for months with no luck.
    Its all good gear, and he is a good friend, so I put it all together, and gave him a great package price on the whole kit.
    He is happy, I am happy. And most importantly, that atrocious blue orb is out of my dash!

9. Back To Top    #199

So, wanting to try something new this go-round. I almost always build simple two-way 6.5" + soft-dome tweet front stages.
    Last several have been active. Its been years since I finished one, LOL.
    They always leave me a little disappointed. This time I was really considering a 3-way. But, I am scared of putting a crossover right in the most critical spectrum of music.
    I am not really experienced with tuning. And, I am afraid a 3-way will drive me insane, before I get good results.
    So, I am actually considering horns! LOL. I know, probably more of a tuning nightmare than the 3-way.
    But, much easier to install. No crossover in the critical upper vocal spectrum.
    Much stealthier than any way I could do a 3-way I think would please my ears.
    And, much simpler supporting equipment (fewer amps, less wiring).
    For some reason I getting a big warm/fuzzy thinking about horns. Especially the installation aspect.

I have already been talking to Eric Stevens about buying a set of his horns. And, I think I am going to pull the trigger in a week or two.
    The big decision for me that will go along with the plan of running horns is: what to do for EQ?
    My initial thoughts are, leave the old Alpine dead-head in the dash, and pick up an old analog 1/3rd octave EQ.
    Second thought, pick up a newerDSP. But, don't like the idea of digital to analog to digital to analog.....
    It seems the best approach would be to convert only one time. Want to keep signal chain as short as possible.

10. Back To Top    #200
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Try to find one of the older passives maybe