Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My "not fancy" just for fun build

1. Back To Top    #1

My "not fancy" just for fun build

So, Seeing as how this seems to be the best strictly car audio forum going these days. And, maybe if I actually start a thread it will keep me motivated to finish a system.
    Here goes nothing:

Ever since I started my own business two years ago, I have been sharing whips with the wife. We have a 2004 F150 SuperCrew (hers!) and a 2010 Camaro "ours".
    I usually drove the Camaro because I drive more (she works from home), and the Ford gets terrible mileage. I hate that damn Camaro. Especially since we bought it
    Because she wanted it. And, now she prefers her truck anyways. Whatever!

I grew tired of that situation. And, finally a screamin' deal on a vehicle more to my liking fell in my lap. (and more importantly, I actually had the money to do something about it when it did!)
    A 2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 heavy-duty. My kind of rig!

So, no more Camaro full-time. I have my own ride now that does not need to be shared. That means I can rip & tear in to it without worrying about momma getting pissed.
    If I have to drive for a week or two with no door panels, so be it. A big, square, hard subwoofer box for a console? Fine by me! Momma would never let that fly in her truck, LOL.

You guys get the point. My truck. The other nice thing: I picked it up cheap (well, cheap for a one-ton 4x4 diesel anyways). It looks good in the picture. And, its not totally destroyed.
    But, its nowhere near new either. So, a little cut here, scratch there, rig-job over here.......I wont care. No big deal, its not a show truck. I now have something I have been lacking
    since I started the business. A great platform to tinker with.

Speaking of the business. I have done pretty much nothing but work for the last two years. Everything has been about the shop in one way or another.
    Even the little bit of stereo play I have done, has been in the shop!
    Don't get me wrong, I love the shop. But, I think my mind needs a little break. Hopefully this will be a nice stress reliever. Or I will just get crazy busy again, and never finish it LOL, time will tell.
    Maybe if I have a build thread it will keep me motivated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My "not fancy" just for fun build

A little about me: I am a self confessed amp-junkie. Partially reformed. Not nearly as bad as I used to be. But, still, an amp junkie.
    I have a handful of brands I like. Mostly "old-school". And, certain criteria I like. Like: an amp should be nothing more than a heat-sink with connections, and a gain knob (or two). I don't need no stinking processor in my amp. And, I like staggered power on my front stage. I have tried symmetrical power on mids/tweets, and just never can get a nice balance (my ears). I have the best results when the tweets have about 50% as much power on tap as the mids.
    And, so on. I am an eccentric pain in the ass when it comes to system design! LOL

So, naturally, when I decided I was going to do a system in this here rig, I started hunting down some amplifiers.

3. Back To Top    #3

What I ended up with is a pretty cool ensemble.
    Two Linear Power 2.2HV's (both titanium, and only one serial number apart)
    Two SoundStream D200II's
    And, two SoundStream D100II's

All 6 amps will run bridged.
    The LP's each on an Diyma R12
    The D200's each on a JBL 660 GTi mid
    And the D100's each on a Morel MDT-57.05 tweet.

Head-unit will either be an Alpine CDA-9887, or Clarion CZ702. All processing will be done by the head-unit.
    Either deck should have hot enough outputs that I wont need a line driver.

Subs will be in a center console.
    Mids in stock locations in well treated doors.
    And tweets right smack on top of the dash in front of god and everybody! LOL

The morel MDT-57.05's are fairly large. And it will be ugly by most peoples standards. But, I don't care. I am keeping this simple so it actually gets completed.
    I am a big Morel tweeter fan. I have used several different versions. And they never let me down. I have always been curious about these 57.05's.
    I don't remember where I first saw them? And there is not a whole lot of info out there about them (hope they aren't counterfeit! LOL).
    I did notice they are made in England, not Isreal. They are big and ugly. Ohh-well. The sound is what matters.

Yea, this redneck shit is happening! LOL

I will paint the bases, and grills to match the dash. There will still be a black ring (the actual tweeter body). But, that will have to be okay. I refuse to mask, and paint my tweeters.
    The bases will also be screwed right down to the dash, with the screws going through the dash-mat that should be here next week. So they will do double-duty. And I wont have to use any silly Velcro stickies.

I have everything on hand now except the second D100II. It should be here Friday. After it lands I will start mocking up the amp rack (under the rear seat).

The sub-box, I think I will design, and draw up the plans. Then farm the actual build of the enclosure out. I don't have the right tools. Every time I build a box, they turn out great, but it takes me a freaking month!

The amps (minus one):

Last edited by wheelieking71; 03-26-2015 at 08:08 AM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice-looking ride ya got there...I'm looking forward to seeing what you do to it

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Al. It should be fun. And having good tunes sure will enlighten my monotonous commute every day.

Here are the JBL GTI's I scored for a song off my local Craigslist last week:

I have never seen a bad word written about these, so I am pretty excited to give them a shot.

And the Morels I grabbed from Glen:

I am hoping these do at least as well as my old MDT-12's.

And the Diyma R12's I have had for years. No pics right now. They are buried. We all know what they look like anyways. They are both brand new. I am finally going to break down and use them! LOL

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like a solid plan......and I like the equipment choices too. Should be a fun system!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I say 9887 for HU because I heard that you have my old one.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    I say 9887 for HU because I heard that you have my old one.
    I got it from bjayjr on diyma.

9887 has all the processing I will need. But, I really want USB and Bluetooth.

I thought I ordered a CZ702 the other night. But, I guess in my drunken stupor I didn't click the buttons right! Will have to try that again LOL.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

wheelieking71,
    Nice round-up of equipment ( amps, et cetera ).
    they've been around since at least 2002
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-...-tweeters.html

Looking GREAT !!
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

10. Back To Top    #10
    DIYMA Dropout
    Real Name
    Dave
    Vehicle
    Jetta SW, Torino, F-150

Those mids look great!
    I make the things that go bump in the night...