Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Howdy

Two Subarus? SWEET!!! We are a two Subaru family too.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #12

Okay, so, where do you guys recommend I get my read on? Like I said, I'm a novice with audio. I get some of the basic stuff like differences for component and coaxial speakers and required power to run speakers. What I don't understand is calculating draw, compensating for it, and calculating air space for boxes. Any good threads or sites you guys recommend to a lowbie like myself? On a side note, my project Subaru is 79 Brat (remember those?) and I'd like to get something respectable (not competition quality). However, my space is extremely limited as the cab is about on par with the size of a shoe box and I am not wanting to cut door panels. I want to get creative with some component speakers and maybe a bass tube, but my mounting options are pretty limited.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Subaru Brat! Yeah man!

There are tons of options these days for great comp sets at very affordable prices, and shallow mount subwoofers have really come a long way.

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post

Hey thanks for the beginner's reading material. A lot of it has been review to me (started on chapter 1), but I'm starting to get into more interesting stuff which has raised some questions on some wiring I've done on other parts of the car. I've wrote some things down and will be hitting the multimeter tonight. I'm sure I'll have more questions but this was a great place to start, thanks for suggesting it.

Quote Originally Posted by chithead

Subaru Brat! Yeah man!

There are tons of options these days for great comp sets at very affordable prices, and shallow mount subwoofers have really come a long way.
    I'm trying to be "all-in" at about 500 bucks minus head unit cost (I have one, would like to re-use if possible but will buy another if I need to). I know I'm not going to get anything crazy for that kind of money but I'm hoping that'll cover speaker/wire/amplifier costs. What kind of depth do shallow mounts usually require for a box?

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Quote Originally Posted by xt3kn1x View Post
    Hey thanks for the beginner's reading material. A lot of it has been review to me (started on chapter 1), but I'm starting to get into more interesting stuff which has raised some questions on some wiring I've done on other parts of the car. I've wrote some things down and will be hitting the multimeter tonight. I'm sure I'll have more questions but this was a great place to start, thanks for suggesting it.

I'm trying to be "all-in" at about 500 bucks minus head unit cost (I have one, would like to re-use if possible but will buy another if I need to). I know I'm not going to get anything crazy for that kind of money but I'm hoping that'll cover speaker/wire/amplifier costs. What kind of depth do shallow mounts usually require for a box?
    The smart folks here can help you find deals on new and used stuff. You might be surprised with what you end up with. You may also want to include $ for vibration dampening in your budget (if you don't already have it).

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

This looks like an interesting shallow mount option - eBay.com - Alpine SWT-10S4

Would be easy to drive bridged off the back two channels of a four channel amp.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

A bit more cost, but this was my favorite shallow sub of the few I tried out one time - Helix Esprit E12W Shallow Mount

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

i'd check out the ppi ion amp line if you're on a budget too. even if you look into buying used equipment i'm not sure you could come up with a better value than these things brand new. lots of power and they're tiny. i run the 5 channel and really like it, i think i paid $130 for it back in september or so of last year

10. Back To Top    #20

Wow hey thanks for all the replies guys. So as far as sound deadening is concerned I have that covered, I think. A buddy of mine donated a big roll of dynamat to the cause. I have the 30 year old carpet and underlayment ripped out and I will be lining the floors with dynamat. I linked a picture showing all of the stuff I had. The cables are from my car... I had paid a guy I knew to install a system for me when I bought the car. Come to find out he was selling me secondhand stuff to make a profit, but that's ancient history. Anyway I think I have enough to get me going.

http://1drv.ms/1B9olHf

Theres about 8 feet of 4AWG Tsunami wire, what appears to be a 140A Phoenix Gold breaker? A couple lengths of 8AWG maybe 4 ft a piece with a fuse block, two Tsunami RCA cables, one 2-cable and one 4-cable. And a bunch of misc wiring of various lengths and gauges.

So I think at this point it's really just a matter of picking speakers and amp that will fit. That Helix looks really compact! A little over 4" of depth is really attractive. I just don't know any other option for regular speakers except putting them in the door and I really don't want to cut the cards up. I'm going to finish reading that web site before I make a commitment to any products or methods of installation. Maybe I will clean some more wisdom.