Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Re: HT Overhaul: JBL Pro Cinema L/C/R Build

What's the closest town to fly into?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

2. Back To Top    #22

LOL. It wouldn't be worth the trip... at least not yet.

(Huntsville, though)

3. Back To Top    #23

Hell yeah.....she's coming right along! I'd imagine it already sounds awesome, and will likely continue to improve with your planned room treatments. As far as the imaging goes, it's amazing how much easier home audio is in that respect, quality gear and a lil time setting it up yields amazing results........especially when you're used to the countless hours, days, and weeks it takes in the car environment. I wish I could get a demo, I'll bet soundtrack orchestration is amazingly lifelike, realism is what the high efficiency drivers driven by discrete surround algorithms excel at.......yes....I'm jealous......

4. Back To Top    #24

Got the screen built last night and squeezed in a couple trial runs on the new setup.

Here's a shot from behind the wall:

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2007 Ford Mustang

That Epson Sony projector looks awesome!

Last edited by Psyko; 07-24-2015 at 01:51 PM.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

NICE!

7. Back To Top    #27

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    That Epson projector looks awesome!
    oh snap... I realized I never updated the OP..

Actually, it's a Sony HW40ES:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HW40ES.htm

Earlier this year Sony ran a sale on them and a dealer from AVSforum hooked me uuuuuupppppp! I got it for about $1500, fully authorized. Compared to $2499 MSRP.

8. Back To Top    #28

I've been steadily chipping away at this for the past few weeks. Right now I'd say the room is about 90% done. Mostly small stuff like getting material to close out the edges of the front wall and build some enclosures for additional subs that might double as end tables for the second row seats. Though, mainly I need to add the movie posters. I ordered up a couple rare and somewhat costly posters last week which depleted my poster fund quickly. The next round is going to be custom printed posters on acoustically transparent material so I can DIY some acoustic panels like you see here.

So on with the updates...

I ordered a second row of seats. This is what I got:
    http://4seating.com/seatcraft-theate...ating-eros.htm

Same seats that are on the front row. I considered curved front seats but decided against it... it would have been about $300-400 more minimum and I didn't think it would go as well in the room based on some pictures I saw on avsforum.

I built the rear seat platform this week and carpeted it the other night. Overall platform height is 10". I chose not to build a step in to the platform because I felt that would be more awkward than not having a step. Besides, my 4 yo has no problem getting on the second row seating as it is.

Note: If you're curious about the build of the riser, here you go.

The riser is approximately 96" wide by 65" deep, 10" tall. The width is about 4" longer than the physical width of the seats to have some extra room when standing up and stepping up/down. The depth is perfect for both the front row and rear row to recline and not bump in to each other. These chairs are called "wall saver" which means when the foot rest is extended, the back of the chair is still only back about 3".
    The height was chosen based on a couple things: 1) non-compromised view for the rear seat and 2) 2x10's are cheaper than 2x12's.
    It worked out that the 10" height was fine for #1 so I went with it.

It was built out of 2x10's and 2 sheets of 3/4" OSB (1 layer) with about 2 rolls of pink stuff in between each board. Why pink stuff?... because I wanted some way to keep the riser from sounding like an empty drum. When I set the OSB down on the frame and walked acrossed you could hear the effect. I had already bought the insulation but wanted to make sure it was even needed. It was. So I threw it in. In total, I'd say I have about $100 in the riser, not including the cost of the carpet which was another $62 ($0.60/sqft, 8x12ft).

Build pics can be seen on my PB page. Just follow the link attached to one of the photos above and you'll be able to meander through them. But here's an example of it in progress:

Last edited by erinh; 08-20-2015 at 11:56 AM.

9. Back To Top    #29

Though, the theme of the room is largely 'home theater', I wanted to have some sort of dedicated space for a 'music vibe'. Especially since I finally got a nice turntable.

I wanted to have the turntable on display in the back left corner of room so it would give that separation of "here's where the HT begins but this is my little music niche". To do that I ran the RCA and power cord through the wall in to the media closet and put the turntable on the old school cabinet type turntable. My wife had the idea to pick some favorite albums and frame the album covers to give the corner a little something extra. Given how much enjoyment of music is driven by psychoacoustics, I wanted to have a cool little 'comfy' vibe to the room, so to speak. So, I bought a cheap little desk lamp. This allows me to go up stairs, put on a record and listen without having to turn the overhead can lights on (which kind of kill the listening experience for me). I'll also run a 1/4" minijack cable through the wall for headphone listening, should I ever get the urge to listen that way.

Some info on the turntable...
    The turntable is from U-Turn Audio. They have two off the shelf designs: the Orbital and the Orbital Plus. The basic is $179 and the Orbit Plus is $309. Or you can custom build one, which is the route I went. Mine is closer to the Plus but with the Grado Black cartridge as opposed to the Grado Blue cartridge and a cueing lever (because I'm a fumbling buffoon).

I initially ordered it in blue but it came beat up from shipping so they immediately offered to send me a replacement. I requested white and am much happier with that color. The blue, to me, is rather dull. The white looks better in the room.

Here's the blue I received:

And here's the white I wound up with:

We are on the lookout for a nice table to put at the back right corner of the room to put our little popcorn machine on (link here). I'm tempted to build a little counter there with a nice corian countertop but I think it would physically stick out too far so I may not go that route anyway.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice job, I need to get up there to check it out...but I demand to be fed also