Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HT Overhaul: JBL Pro Cinema L/C/R Build

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: HT Overhaul: JBL Pro Cinema L/C/R Build

I had back surgery at the age of 25. :/

I'll snap some cell pics. The surrounds look really good in the room. They're a big ol' square and they're not too deep which is perfect. Basically if you've been in any theater with the surround speakers on the walls, the ones that are about 2x2 ft and angle downward about 15 degrees, then you've probably seen the ones I have.

In fact, here's a link:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._200_Watt.html

They're very nice. Especially since I only paid $50/pair for them.
    The cool thing about them is they are plastic so they're fairly light weight. The model before them (8330; no 'A') were wooden. These are supposedly a step up. They came with the mounting brackets, but I had to chop about 4" off them because they'd stick out way too far in the room from the wall.

It's kind of crazy how something as simple as just hiding the wires behind the speaker makes the room just look more like a legit movie room, too.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If I lived within 100 miles of you I'd help you get the wall built. I work fast so it would get done fairly quickly. Would love to watch a movie on that beast when you get it done!
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #13

Werd....gonna be an experience fo sho! Commercial size sound in a home theater is gonna be straight dope......great score on the professional gear, ya lucky fucker......

4. Back To Top    #14

Slowly making progress. Got the SI HT18 enclosures built and started on the false wall last night.

5. Back To Top    #15

The one thing I will say is even using the Crown's crossovers to split the signal on the horns/woofer at about 561hz with the built in LR4 network... the horn setup is awesome. This thing gets very loud, to the point where it's unsafe to have so much volume potential, and sounds very clear. The images are huge, too. When you hear a voice it's as good as I've ever heard; just like you're talking to the person.

I have been saying that ultimate SQ wasn't my primary goal here and while the look and feel of a HT trump the "gotta have better sound than everyone" mentality, there's no doubt this setup easily competes with some of the high end rigs I've heard at the shops I've visited in my travels. I'm pretty excited about the potential this thing has to be not only a really cool looking humble-home-theater, but a legitimate hi-fi reference setup as well.

6. Back To Top    #16

Cinder blocks for SQ. No need to elevate the wires when you can elevate the speakah's!

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Where's the giant wooden spool?

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

This may be a stupid question but with it being a "home theater" can you listen to music on it? I sure you "can" but do you get the experience like you do in your car?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    This may be a stupid question but with it being a "home theater" can you listen to music on it? I sure you "can" but do you get the experience like you do in your car?
    yea, dude. for sure! check my post above about the sound. that was made based on some listening to music.

it's actually turned out to be a killer reference!

10. Back To Top    #20

Started from the bottom...

... now we here...

The right side isn't attached to anything so I can slip behind the wall and move speakers around once I get everything set up and ready to go. And, yes, those are cinder blocks. EssQ cinder blocks, to be exact.

As it stands, if nothing else I have to say this: listening to speakers that are completely hidden is a total trip. And this setup sounds incredible. Staging like I've never heard. I initially didn't expect this to be a 'reference', per se, but that is definitely not the case. When you sit in the chair and see a solid black wall and can pinpoint a triangle that's 10 feet behind the lead vocalist in a song with no doubt as to where the sound is coming from, that's just too cool.

The screen is up next. Then some other stuff (rear seats, ceiling treatment and dark carpet to knock down screen reflections, more subs, popcorn machine) as I get time/funds.
    Last edited by erinh; 07-22-2015 at 08:50 PM.