Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HT Overhaul: JBL Pro Cinema L/C/R Build

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: HT Overhaul: JBL Pro Cinema L/C/R Build

I think you have it nailed with yer statement following your question chad. I could be wrong, but I believe it's about reflectivity vs a reference. I'm not 100%, so someone who knows for sure can correct me........

2. Back To Top    #42

Chad, there's a really small explanation of gain on that page but it might be enough:
    http://www.screeninnovations.com/support/faq/

Kelvin

3. Back To Top    #43

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    with the 4 can lights on wide open there is still plenty of brightness. but keep in mind that has a lot to do with the gain of the screen as well. still, for an acoustically transparent screen, you're losing gain off the bat. estimates say my setup is around 0.8-0.85 gain. and it's plenty enough to watch TV with family over and keep the lights on.
    took some pictures for examples.

this is with all 4 can lights turned on at full, 100% brightness. still plenty of visibility on the screen.

this is with the lights dimmed to about 75% brightness:

and this is with the lights dimmed to about 30-40% brightness:

side note: Stitch!!!!!

4. Back To Top    #44

Thanks for the pics... Bit the bullet yesterday actually. Bought a Sony HW40

Here's how I feel about projector systems...
    I think of the projector as the speaker of a system... Better to start with a good one with good color and contrast out of the box (good freq resp when talking about speakers)
    Then choose the projector screen to tune your system (DSP)

Been reading AVS forum for almost 2 full weeks and think that I have a good grasp of what I need now... Find another job to buy me an ALR screen from the big players lol

Kelvin

5. Back To Top    #45

yea. I went through a couple projectors. The Epson 8350 can't hold a candle to this Sony. I honestly think that's probably the best place the money was spent. Speakers are important as well, but to me the home theater concept is rooted in the visual and the auditory is a secondary feature. Not to say speakers and setup doesn't matter but again the visual is really the predominant feature. No one has yet said "I love those speakers" when they come up the stairs. The first thing out of everyone's mouth is something to the effect of "wow, that looks awesome". The sound gets compliments but usually later as they're watching something and there's a cool effect. I personally rarely even listen to music up there, even though it sounds killer.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    Chad, there's a really small explanation of gain on that page but it might be enough:
    http://www.screeninnovations.com/support/faq/

Kelvin
    "Gain is achieved by using screen surface pigment and or textures to concentrate reflected light into the viewing cone. If you have a 2 gain screen on a 1000 lumen projector you will be reflecting 2000 lumens."

WAT? How is this even possible? I can see a concave reflector causing gain over a specified area, but if a screen is not curved I simply cannot see how it can make gain.

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

ahhh... This makes more sense...

"Gain is a measurement of the reflectivity of any screen or projection surface. The gain number represents a ratio of the light that is reflected from the screen as compared to the light reflected from a standard white (magnesium oxide) board."

8. Back To Top    #48

Not a major update but an update nonetheless...

Last Summer Crown released a 2nd version of their DriveCore XLS amps. Same power as the version 1 I have (had) but a few notable differences:
    • New look.
    • Switched turn-on capability.
    • Input sensitivity selectable between 0.7 or 1.4 volts (as opposed to just the 1.4v the v1 has).
    • More diverse crossover features. In my case, the ability to set the crossover frequency at different points. For example, with the v1 you have to use the same crossover point when splitting signal for 2-way purposes, such as 671hz for both woofer and horn. Now I can set the woofer for 600hz and the horn for 650hz (or something like that). Currently not using the rane so the amp's DSP is really useful. Because of this you can also choose to use a HPF, LPF or Bandpass for either/both channels where before you didn't have that same flexibility.
    • Adjustable display controls such as brightness and on/off (which is a plus when all the lights are off and I don't want the light shining under the media closet door).

I found a pair of XLS 2002's cheap locally so bought them. Then added a pair of XLS1502's. The amp configuration isn't exactly symmetrical; I'd like to have the same amps for all the front speakers but that would require me spending more money for all 2002's or selling a 2002 and getting a third 1502. Not really necessary, though. So I have a 2002 for the subs and a 2002 for the center. The 1502's are for the left and right speakers. I could use another amp for the surround speakers but right now I'm powering them off the AVR and that seems to be doing the job just fine.

The new look is what got me. And now that they're in the amp rack, I know it was the right decision. That rack looks awesome now with all black components. To me it really has a genuine "movie theater" look now.