Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Tip - Spraying Adhesive for Vinyl or Carpet Wrapping

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick Tip - Spraying Adhesive for Vinyl or Carpet Wrapping

I get a lot of questions about the best glue to use for upholstery. When you are wrapping a box in carpet or vinyl you want it to stick, and stay stuck. I have found one of the best glues for this is DAP weldwood Landau Top and Trim adhesive. This is what guys around the country use in their full time car audio shops.

But what is the best way to spray and apply it? Check out this video to see how:

I find using this cheap gun works best because you don't need to bother with cleaning it, and at the point that it becomes unusable, simply pick up a new one. Of course if you do want to bother with cleaning it you can, but to me the time input and having to always use up a full pot of adhesive cost much more than the price of the gun.

What do you guys think? Will you be picking up this gun for your adhesive spraying needs?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Re: Quick Tip - Spraying Adhesive for Vinyl or Carpet Wrapping

I have used the Weldwood gel contact adhesive, brushed on, with good results. If i had a compressor, I would definitely go this route, though.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    I have used the Weldwood gel contact adhesive, brushed on, with good results. If i had a compressor, I would definitely go this route, though.
    I've done some brushing in my day. Seem to be able to get a much more consistent outcome with spray though.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

this spray adhesive is legit! Back in denver I was able to score a 5 gallon can of it for $65. Lasted me forever and worked multiple times better than the spray glue in a can could do (even the super 90). Great video bud!
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

the regular weldwood works almost as well and can be bought at the big box stores.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    the regular weldwood works almost as well and can be bought at the big box stores.

this stuff is great for rolling but is a bit thick for spraying. The blue can stuff is made to spray and has a better viscosity.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Yup the spray Dap Weldwood is tits. I typically use the brush on stuff now since I don't have a compressor and it works well, but the spray is definitely the best.

9. Back To Top    #9

Please spend the extra bucks and shoot the blue stuff shown in the video guys! Trust me! Im a DIY'er and not a shop. I used the red in some of my previous videos and it doesnt touch the blue! Its worth the extra coin to have a much better longer lasting result

10. Back To Top    #10

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

This is also a great alternative to Weldwood Landau top adhesive. I have always used the "blue can", but here in VA it's for commercial use only and hard to find and have shipped here.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonart...sive/202272666

This is great stuff, it is labeled roller grade, but will spray just fine with an el cheapo Harbor Freight spray gun with a sweet spot regarding pressure at 70 PSI. The great part is you can get it at most Home Depots in the area where you find cabinetry and laminate sheets. If you can get the Weldwood Landau, that is still my first choice.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein