Thread: INCREASE MID BASS! How to Sound Deaden Like a Pro

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: INCREASE MID BASS! How to Sound Deaden Like a Pro

No problemo

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Haha.. Given up for now. Gotta find a source for ABS or similar sheet from a vendor who doesn't want one arm and first born for a sheet. I would like to stay plastic.

But yes, much to fill in..

So for now I've at least got my original CCD and MLV layer over the whole mess.

3. Back To Top    #13

A bit extreme, but, here is another technique.

(video) Houston, we have a problem:

(video) Here is how a hill-jack cures panel flex:

Pics:

I was dumbfounded at how much newer everything about that truck felt after that mod. It literally transformed the entire truck. It felt brand new.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

So I won't get to this in time for the NCSQ meet, but I have an idea on this for the single large non-flat gaping hole in my doors allowing all that midbass energy to be stopped only by a CCF and thick Sounddeadenershowdown layer of MLV.

I'm considering and wonder if anyone's seen this... Why not a layer of fiberglass? Good thick layered up "plate" that fits well behind that MLV layer, deadened with CLD, and rivnuted to the door?

Naysayers have said laying up glass vertically you'll run into a huge challenge with gravity working against you. Curious has any of you old pro's seen it done? I think if I park the car securely on the downhill portion of my driveway, gravity won't be such the issue.

Just thought I'd throw this up the flagpole and see who salutes.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Yes this has been done numerous times. I have seen people build a "backer plate" out of blue tape and then add fiberglass and mat to fill in the hole.

If I could remember there is a build log on DEEMA that shows it. No idea which one it is because it was probably 2010 that I saw it.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Yes this has been done numerous times. I have seen people build a "backer plate" out of blue tape and then add fiberglass and mat to fill in the hole.

If I could remember there is a build log on DEEMA that shows it. No idea which one it is because it was probably 2010 that I saw it.
    That's cool.. I'll search. Would love to know how effective it would be. I suspect if enough contour can be shaped into the plate for strength, one would think it would be equally as strong as the ABS sheet Mark did in the op post vid, while sealing even better because it's a mirror mold of the the flanged opening.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Naysayers have said laying up glass vertically you'll run into a huge challenge with gravity working against you. Curious has any of you old pro's seen it done? I think if I park the car securely on the downhill portion of my driveway, gravity won't be such the issue.
    Any reason the door could not be removed and laid on supports , (saw horses) , and worked on in a horizontal position ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Any reason the door could not be removed and laid on supports , (saw horses) , and worked on in a horizontal position ?
    Only reason I could think of is because pulling the door is something I've never done and that scares the crap out of me! LOL! But I guess yeah that could be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Just lay the car on its side

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

I've been thinking about easier ways to seal off these non-flat holes in inner door skins.
    I've seen many use CLD with sheet metal & screws over it but it's tough to get the sheet metal to seal on the edges if the surface is not flat.
    Maybe this has been done before.... But what if you used a thick medium density CCF sheet, say 1-2" thick, and cut it big enough to overlap the hole. Then screw the sheet metal over it in order to sandwich the CCF tight up against the CLD and put positive pressure on it. The foam would take up the voids created by the uneven surface. This might even work without CLD if you want to make removal easier....
    Just some thoughts I thought I would stick here