Thread: 2-way TQWT floorstanders

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Re: 2-way TQWT floorstanders

This is a wooden couch I made at a friends place.. The table fits right in the corner and I also made a upholstered part for the table, all together it makes a "bed"...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130604_002 (800x450).jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	583

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord
    Moved to woodworking thread.

Edit: restored post to allow image link to the woodworking thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1109313279.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2104536158.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1824599940.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-584684013.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	587  
    Last edited by BigAl205; 07-07-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Repaired image link

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Martin
    Vehicle
    Civic,Dodge Journey

Nice job!
    Really digging the look of the chamfered edges:thumb:

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by WOOSEY View Post
    Last year I had some units left in my collection so I decided to build me a pair of floorstanding loudspeakers for my game/smoke/chill room..

The drivers being used are:

Audio system HX 165 Dust midbass
    Pioneer TS-T3PRS Tweeter ( in most pics I was still playing with the HS25vol by Audio system which is in the compo set..)

Cabinet 22mm MDF

Crossovers : DIY ( measuring tweaking combining ) Still working on em, rebuilding the room so another session will come as soon as the room is furnitured..
    The nice thing about my job is when we have an active build, the passives are coming home with me.. where they will be disassembled, components being measured and marked with
    the specs..

Measurement setup: Tascam US-122mkII USB soundcard
    Behringer ecm8000 mic
    Diy RLC meter via Limp ( Arta )
    Nice work, I'm just trying to find the right veneered MDF (and time and money) to build a set of 3-way TQWT, will use a Focal Utopia 6.5s and some ribbons/dome tweeters. Crossover I'm going active between subs/mids/highs and passive between the tweeter and the ribbon.

I'll be running a separate ML-TQWT for the subs, employing two old KEF B139, again crossed actively.

All will be run off a 12 ch sonance amp.

How well does the mh-audio site/program produce the design in terms of output/expected response? I was considering using that for the basis of my design as I can't get my head around Hornresp!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
    Nice work, I'm just trying to find the right veneered MDF (and time and money) to build a set of 3-way TQWT, will use a Focal Utopia 6.5s and some ribbons/dome tweeters. Crossover I'm going active between subs/mids/highs and passive between the tweeter and the ribbon.

I'll be running a separate ML-TQWT for the subs, employing two old KEF B139, again crossed actively.

All will be run off a 12 ch sonance amp.

How well does the mh-audio site/program produce the design in terms of output/expected response? I was considering using that for the basis of my design as I can't get my head around Hornresp!
    Thanks!

The one I used just calculated the tqwt lenght and tuning freq., no expected response.. But it actually goes very well. I can recommend to build the mid/highs in a separate enclosure so they don't screw up the response trough the line... Less damping is needed if they are not playing in the line.. And keep measuring both cabinets @ the driver and @ the port, sum them ( one cabinet ) to see what's really going on.. Stuffing can be a pita imo ( beginning of the line, @ 1/3, at the middle, at the end) But with a lot of trial and error you'll get there ..

I'm still in the middle of rebuilding my livingroom, Last time I measured in that room it was completely raw.. Just concrete and drywall and half a ceiling ... If they lack too much bass they will return to my game-room and then I want to start a IB project.. 15"/8"/30mm tweeter.......... maybe tweeterless with a pro-coax..

The new room is about 32m2 and the 16,5cm drivers may not fill that, and I want no subwoofer... But I have to wait for the furniture to be all in place and measure/test/evaluate again..

6. Back To Top    #16

Sorry, poor wording from me! I'm glad they sound good, mine (using same online calc) should go down to 60Hz well and the sub will take over from there.

The mids/highs are sealed back units, so was planning on them being "in" the enclosure, but easy enough to mount above in an open baffle/enclosure.

Have you looked at the KEF point source drivers? Available up to 8" (IIRC) should be a good candidate Otherwise Tannoy do some good PS too.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
    Sorry, poor wording from me! I'm glad they sound good, mine (using same online calc) should go down to 60Hz well and the sub will take over from there.

The mids/highs are sealed back units, so was planning on them being "in" the enclosure, but easy enough to mount above in an open baffle/enclosure.

Have you looked at the KEF point source drivers? Available up to 8" (IIRC) should be a good candidate Otherwise Tannoy do some good PS too.
    Poor wording from me too, I meant the mid and tweet can be in their own enclosure within the enclosure sealed from the midbass..

Those tannoy and kef drivers are sick.. But not for sale in the shop? Maybe a repairservice we send broken radio's and amp's to can order some of those

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Vehicle

9. Back To Top    #19

Hmm, they look nice. The Tannoys and KEF are available on a US site, forget which. TA has a thread on them The Rug Doctor is going to use some, Erin on DIYMA did some tests/reviews too.